The American Cemetery Margraten is an American military cemetery and memorial to the deceased soldiers of the United States of America during the battle in South Limburg and in the Ruhr area, during the Second World War.
The military cemetery Grebbeberg near Rhenen is the first war cemetery in the Netherlands. Only soldiers are buried here. This cemetery is the last resting place of more than 400 Dutch soldiers who fell in May 1940 in the battle for the southern part of the Grebbe Line.
In 1947 the Dutch government decided to transfer the remains of the Dutch who died in Germany to the Netherlands. These victims rested on enemy soil and often had not had proper burial. In order to implement this decision, the Oorlogsgravenstichting started in 1948 with the construction of a field of honor in Loenen (municipality of Apeldoorn). On October 18, 1949, Princess Wilhelmina opened this field of honor where almost 4,000 Dutch people are buried now. Regular burials still take place here.
The graves of 1,754 Allied soldiers lie on the British field of honor. Most of the allied soldiers are burried here. They fell during the large-scale air landing operation, Operation Market. There are no American soldiers.
At this location was from September 1939 a prisoner of war camp, Stalag IV-B. There were about 300,000 prisoners of different nationalities, of whom about 3,000 died in the camp (mostly Russians). They were housed in barracks for 800 men.
On April 23, 1945, the remaining prisoners were freed by the Red Army, including 1,200 Dutchmen.
Mühlberg / Elbe 2013
Situated north-east of of Stalag IV-B.
At the war cemetery in Neuburxdorf were originally 3000 victims (including 2368 Soviet prisoners of war) of Stalag IV B buried. Many of them were reburied elsewhere after the war.